In our lifetime, 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately, this statistic is all too real for my family. At age 20, my second cousin, Casey McQuillan, was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML), a type of blood cancer, after going to the ER for stomach pains. He was in the 2% of CML patients who developed a resistance to the prescribed medication that successfully put the remaining 98% of patients in remission.
Casey was treated at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. Swim Across America funds groundbreaking research at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and many other hospitals across the country.
I am participating in Swim Across America's Coast to Coast virtual challenge to raise money to fight cancer. Please support me by donating to my virtual challenge, the money you give will go towards cancer research, prevention, and treatment. It will make an impact in the fight to find a cure. Thank you for your generosity and may it lead to a cancer-free world!
You can make a credit card donation on this page, or send a check to Swim Across America, 11600 N. Community House Rd., Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28277. Checks should be made out to Swim Across America, please include “Alison Smith – MSA Team” in the memo line.